The booms from premature fireworks off in the distance reminds me that July will be here in under an hour. Besides marking the second half of the year, it’s a big month for me — it’s my birthday month!
In eleven days (yikes!) I’ll be 29. And boy, I don’t entirely feel ready. Like, I do? But… I don’t.
This year had already unofficially been dubbed my ‘get my sh*t together’ year but I want to step my game up heading into the last year of my 20s.
I have a laundry list of goals for the next twelve months, which I’ll talk about more at a later date. I’m trying to learn that not everything needs to be accomplished at once — it’s okay to take lazy days, it’s okay to break tasks up into manageable sections.
With that in mind, here are my goals for July:
- Start wearing my FitBit every day again. I have a very sedentary job and I get discouraged when I see how few steps I’ve taken — but wearing my FitBit helps me remember to get up regularly and move around more.
- Pick a bedtime and stick to it. I am notoriously slow to fall asleep but that doesn’t mean I can or should allow myself to stay up later. I’m happier and feel better when I can wake up earlier, which means no more late nights.
- Continue to set and follow budgets. I have made a lot of progress in that area this year and now I need to keep going and apply what I’ve learned to my one true weakness… craft stores.
- Seek out professional help. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I put off making an appointment with a therapist. I need to remember this beautiful mantra: I can do anything, but not everything.
- Work on ME. I spend a lot of time stressing about things that have nothing to do with me. It’s past time for me to focus my time and energy on myself instead. I have equated self-sacrifice with being a good person and a good friend, which isn’t healthy.
- Put my newfound knowledge to use. I recently stumbled upon the Happier Podcast with Gretchen Rubin and it has revolutionized my life. There’s the One Minute Rule, which is that if you can do something in under a minute you should do it right then — don’t put little things off until later! The most recent episode is about shielding yourself from worry (which inspired the previous bullet point). I could go on and on but I won’t. Just download, listen, learn.
- Stop talking about myself so negatively. I already know that this one will be hard. My sense of humor is extremely self-deprecating… to my own peril. Earlier tonight I reposted a couple of things on Tumblr that were very “I’m the worst!” themed — and then I started feeling bad about how ‘awful’ I am. To paraphrase a cliché: Whether you think you are or think you’re not, you’re right.
- Open an IRA. Wow! Much mature, very adult. I’m (literally) not getting any younger and no matter how stressful the future is, I still have to plan for it.
That’s it for now! Hit the comments to tell me what your short-term goals are, whether it’s for the week or the month or the summer. If you need me… I’ll be here, crafting away.